- Junior Partner at CTLup
- Research fellow in Infrastructure and Transport at CTL (Centro di Ricerca per il Trasporto e la Logistica of Sapienza University of Rome)
He has taken part in different research projects financed by various organisations in Italy, Spain, Colombia and Africa. His research interests include the following three correlated areas: road safety, sustainable mobility and transport planning and policies, with particular attention to developing countries.
Among the projects of particular importance in which he has recently taken part are:
- Trendline project – The biggest effort ever undertaken in Europe (and beyond) in the field of data collection and analysis for road safety performance indicators. It will help underpin road safety strategies and their monitoring at national and European level;
- PANACEA project – A project aimed at developping and testing a holistic assessment system of driving ability for commercial drivers in order to use it pre-, during and roadside, matched to cloud-based countermeasures and coaching tool. To reach this goal, PANACEA sets himself the task to create consumer-focused health monitoring and assessment solutions;
- “Improvement of the transit corridor” project – Preparation of a feasibility study for a road safety rehabilitation and improvement of selected sections of the M1 Motorway (in Belarus) and the realization of impact assessments of project interventions in the road sector. The project aims to improve the transport connectivity, border crossing procedures and safety for national and international road users on selected sections of the corridor;
- AfCFTA project – “Study on the Implications of the African Continental Free Trade Area for Demand of Transport Infrastructure and Services in African Countries” (United Nations Economic Commission for Africa UNECA), for the assessment of the effects of the introduction of the free trade treaty between African countries on national and international transport systems;
- SaferAfrica project (European Commission DG RESEARCH), for the creation of a scientific/institutional Dialogue Platform, which will make it possible to improve the knowledge of the problems of road accidents in Africa and to establish policies and interventions to reduce the number of fatalities and injured;
- ESRA project (joint international initiative with research organisations and institutes for road safety): ESRA is the abbreviation of “E-Survey on Road Users’ Attitudes”. It is a huge survey carried out with a representative sample of the adult population in the countries taking part (using online access panels). The survey addresses over 200 entries;
- Development of a simplified method of road safety assessment and pilot study on motorways in Mozambique and Liberia (World Bank): the project aims at the development and piloting of a new methodology, based on automated image analysis to identify critical road sections. The basic idea is of being able to recognise the problems of road safety linked to road infrastructure features without the specific need for data relative to road accidents;
- Pilot study to collect more reliable accident data in Sierra Leone (ReCAP – Ukaid): the study aims to define a method for road accident data collection and to develop and implement a data management system for the storing and analysis of road accident data.
At national level:
- “General Guidelines for the Implementation of the National Road Safety Plan 2030“ (Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport);
- “Plan for the management and optimisation of traffic flows and mobility for the Regional Road Network under Astral S.p.A. management“, whose aim is to supply the Client with an integrated service, including ad hoc developed information systems, which significantly increase the capacity for analysis of the operational and management issues pertaining to the road network of its competence and, more generally, the entire road transport system of the Lazio Region.
He is co-author of over 30 scientific publications including: peer-reviewed articles for journals, conference articles and deliverables. He is an active proof reader of various scientific journals: Transportation Research Record (TRR); Advances in Transportation Studies (ATS); European Transport Research Review (ETTR); Traffic Injury Prevention (TIP); Transportation Planning and Technology (TPP); Transportation Research Procedia; Transport Problems (TP). He is also a member of the International Transport Forum (ITF), the World Bank working group in the implementation of the Safety System approach and the International Network for Transport and Accessibility in Low Income Communities – Latin America Chapter (INTALInC-LAC).
PhD in Infrastructure and Transport at Sapienza University of Rome (2022), he graduated in Civil Engineering at the University of Ibague in 2010 and obtained a Diploma in “Local Government Public Management” at the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in 2015 in Colombia. Lastly, he has a Master’s degree in Transport Engineering from the UPV in Spain, where he graduated with a 1st class honours degree in 2018.
Luca defines himself as a nature and animal lover. And it would seem that he is in no way kidding about this, as he owns a farm in his native town Avezzano, with 15 dogs, a donkey, various goats, geese, ducks, hens and other animals. At present he breeds Giant Schnauzers, but in the past he also had Dogues de Bordeaux, Neapolitan Mastiffs and Bull Terriers. He loves sport and is a Lazio supporter.Luca Persia
Born in Trabzon, Turkey, into a family of engineers–architects, Kagan loves travelling, especially in Europe. He defines himself as an optimist: in fact, he believes that everything can be managed and organised. He is keen on swimming and all water sports and favours science fiction novels and history. Last, but not least, he is passionate about his friends and his time shared with them.Sevket Oguz Kagan Capkin
Roberto lives in Ciampino, where he was born. His rural origins often take him back to the countryside, where he tends to his plants and garden. It is there that he finds his natural habitat, restoring body and spirit. He is very keen on reading, technology, electronics and Hi-Fi and photography and in recent years has discovered a new hobby piloting a DJI Phantom 4 Pro drone in open spaces and taking pictures from above. He also loves walking, especially in the woods and the mountains, searching for mushrooms, blackberries and wild fruits.Roberto Carroccia
SERGIO (Celestino is the surname, by the way!), was born by chance in Turin some years ago. He grew up by the sea and has lived in different places in Italy and abroad and now lives in an ancient Etruscan town, near Rome. When he was little he was blonde, then he played in pubs, was the hiker, the mayor, the dreamer; now he’s still an architect, not long been an journalist and is often forced to go to the gym because of his love of wine and cheeses. In short, if it were for him he would always have a rucksack on his back and his dream has been to fly since he was a child.Sergio Celestino
Artsiom, for his friends Artem, was born in Brest, Belarus, a town situated literally on the border between Poland and Ukraine. At present, he lives in a place with fewer boundaries, but just as beautiful - Rome. Artem challenges the chaos of the city by cycling, loves reading, travelling and doing sports, especially football, swimming and running.Artsiom Sauchuk
Berrak was born in Istanbul, Turkey. She has always loved all animals, but cats have a special place in her heart. She has always loved science but thanks to her elder sister she learned to appreciate engineering in particular. What fascinates her instead is losing her way in the narrow streets of towns (Rome included) with her bicycle and observing their most beautiful details. At the weekend you are likely to find her in some local pub drinking an iced IPA.Berrak Senses
Davide loves walking even though, every now and again, he prefers wandering around aimlessly – and as he’s an engineer we don’t even ask why. With an Italian mother and Japanese father, Davide has always sought to bring the features of both cultures into his work and life. In his spare time, he loves reading, especially the so-called “ninth art”: cartoons.Davide Shingo Usami
Stephen was born in Kumbo, in the grass field areas of Cameroon. Growing up in an area with earthed roads which becomes very inaccessible during the long 8 months rainy seasons made him grow interest in studying Civil engineering. Being very passionate in promoting shared prosperity and in reducing poverty & suffering has motivated him to pursue his career on road safety where road accidents pose as “weapons of mass destruction” especially in low-income countries. While Stephen is a good goalkeeper who is always called up in his local football competition, in his free time, he loves cooking his cultural dishes (which he cultivates) and also spends time singing with his church choir.Fondzenyuy Stephen Kome
Francesca is a Leo with a Leo ascendant: a combination that emphasizes her strong and determined personality. She doesn’t back out in front of challenges and difficulties. She loves staying in touch with people: a social animal that, selflessly, is omnipresent for those who needs her. She has always adored cuisine but, above all, cooking: cheesecakes are her main courses. She often says that, in another life, she will be a veterinarian, because she madly loves animals.Francesca Damiani
Mohammed Khadeeruddin, for his friends Khadeer, comes from the vibrant city of Hyderabad, located in the southern part of India and known for its rich history, diverse culture and delectable cuisine. He enjoys immersing himself in the dynamic atmosphere of his city, concentrated around the iconic Charminar and the enchanting Golconda Fort: when he comes back in his homeland, during his leisure time, you can find him exploring the bustling markets, indulging in street food or, simply, relishing the city's laid-back charm. With a passion for cricket, he has honed his skills as an all-rounder, excelling in multiple aspects of the game.Mohammed Khadeeruddin
Irуna comes from Ukraine. She was born in Kamchatka: somewhere very far, between Japan and Alaska, among volcanoes and geyser valleys, which most likely affected her love of active life. You can’t find her on weekends or holidays at home. She likes to travel, discover non-touristic places without using guides and create non-standard and fascinating trips for her friends. But a special passion for her is the sea in all its daily diversity and grandeur. She loves water sports: diving, snorkeling, and canoe. Although not averse to just relax on the beach and dream about something. She has inner resolve and a little adventurism that allows to cope with all the challenges that life throws at her. She never gives up and believes in the best under any circumstances.Iryna Tkachenko
Tejas hails from Bangalore, often referred to as the “Silicon Valley of India”: his formative years have been greatly influenced by the city's thriving startup culture and technological advancements. He has nurtured a deep interest in percussion instrument and martial arts, culminating in the achievement of a black belt in Taekwondo. His fascination with drones has been a driving force in his life. In recent years, he has embarked on exhilarating motorcycle rides with a vibrant biking community, exploring the diverse landscapes, languages and cultures that India has to offer. Each achievement has added to the richness of his experience and personal growth. And, as he approaches the milestone of turning 30, he has compiled a list of aspirations he aims to fulfil.Tejas Singri Krishnamurthy
Steffel is a Cameroonian from the west region of the country. His favourite toy as a kid was a beautiful wood made castle; but he couldn’t fit in, so he decided to be a civil engineer to build his own. Experiencing road crashes made him investigate the subject just to realise the magnitude of the problem, especially in low- and middle-income countries. He decided to devote himself in finding solutions to make transport infrastructure safe for users, efficient for governments and sustainable for the environment. Steffel enjoys calm and silence and adores playing with kids (contradictory right?). He likes cooking and has a passion for fighting disciplines.Steffel Ludivin Feudjio Tezong
Marco was born in Rome where he lives with his family. He has loved technology ever since he was a child playing video games with his dad and he made it his career by graduating in computer engineering. During his career he has been involved in research, design and development of applications of various types working with various programming languages, as well as teaching for professional training courses. He loves video games and sports like football, swimming and recently padel.Marco Di Rocco
“Clear, healthy madness”: perhaps, these words should be enough to describe Manuel. Scorpio according to Western astrology, Wolf of Irpinia according to his identity card. He loves the adventure, risk and improvising, the same quality that allows him to enjoy the most exciting travels, excursions and nights. He made his curiosity into his profession and combined it with his visceral passion for writing. Inviting him to lunch or dinner could be a great idea, especially if the menu is based on traditional dishes. But someone goes around saying that he could invite you, given his growing interest in cooking, as well as in team sports (football and basketball above all).Manuel Merolla